A descriptive word is a word that is utilized to depict something, that something could be an individual, a spot, a circumstance, or a thing in addition to other things.
These words empower you to all the more likely clarify the state of something, for instance, in case you were discussing an individual, you may utilize clear words to clarify how that individual looks.
In case you were discussing a country, you would utilize expressive words to discuss the size of the country for instance.
A descriptive word can likewise assist you with heightening the significance of a word or expression.
Kinds of Describing Words
What kinds of descriptive words are there? There are two primary sorts of descriptive words – adjectives and adverbs.
Adjectives are critical and helpful in the English language. They have been around for a long time, generally persuasive individuals like Shakespeare developed numerous during his lifespan. They furnish us with the admittance to depict the things around us, which proves to be useful by and large.
For instance, in case you will see a specialist about a particular issue, you’ll have the option to portray it. In case you’re composing a story, descriptive words will assist your crowd with imagining your story all the more strikingly.
In the event that you hoping to supplement or portray somebody, adjectives are pivotal.
Gerunds, action words, and things can likewise be utilized as elucidating words. We should take a gander at every one of these kinds of illustrative words in somewhat more detail.
An adjective is utilized to alter or portray a thing. The adjective can give more data about a thing, for example, things like its size, shape, surface, or shading.
An adjective is helpful when there is a choice of similar items which have unpretentious contrasts, for instance, in case there was a gathering of fish, every one an alternate tone. You are asked ‘which fish do you like?’ You can answer this inquiry by basically utilizing the modifier, and you could say ‘the blue one.’
Here are a couple of instances of descriptive words being used:
• The lady is tall.
• That vehicle is somewhat huge.
• There is a red card on the table.
• I lean toward the blistering climate.
• It is a bit moist in the nursery shed.
• The man is American.
• We like to go to the beautiful woodland.
• The seashore is spotless.
• Our inn was sumptuous.
• I observed the subject to be tedious.
• The Harry Potter books were supernatural.
• The bird is excellent.
• There will be a solar eclipse within one week.
It is important that an adjective is most likely to end with the accompanying letters:
- -al-typical, maniacal
- -an-Australian, urban
- -ar-popular, clear, lunar
- -ent-decent, magnificent
- -ful-beautiful, blissful
- -ic-athletic, majestic
- -ical-magical, fantastical
- -ine-feminine, ovine
- -ile-immobile, juvenile
- -ive-aggressive, adaptive
- -less-colourless, thoughtless
- -ous-ginormous, luminous
- -some-awesome, boresome
Be that as it may, similarly as with numerous syntax rules there are special cases thus some of the time a modifier probably won’t be categorized as one of these classifications. A portion of the more uncommon endings for modifiers can be – ing, – er, – y, – ary, – ate.
These sorts of clear words can show up anyplace in a sentence.
An adverb is the other sort of illustrative word that we will take a look at. An adverb is a word that can additionally clarify a descriptor or numerous different kinds of words like action words, expressions, sentences, or many different qualifiers.
This kind of illustrative word is as a general rule, put straightforwardly previously or after the action word in the sentence you are making. Typically, you will see that a modifier closes in the letters – ly, yet likewise, with the descriptors, this standard can waiver occasionally and not all intensifiers will end in these letters.
Here are a few instances of adverbs in a sentence:
• The supercar drives rapidly.
• My feline mewed eagerly.
• The young ladies sang joyfully.
• Parrots talk boisterously.
• Farmers work messily.
• He quickly swam across the sea.
• My little girl obediently presents to me my shoes each night.
• The young lady sang the drama flawlessly.
• I find that he draws appallingly.
• The cow is colossally weighty.
• She consistently drives her vehicle cautiously.
You can likewise utilize two adverbs together to shape an adverb phrase, here are a few instances of this.
• I saw a canine strolling very cautiously along a shaft.
• I discover language adapting extraordinarily simple.
The words some, much, very, and more can likewise be utilized as modifiers, in a model like one of the accompanying;
• Many individuals will visit the recreation center today.
• I think that it is exceptionally irritating.
• Much of the food was eaten.
• I like to have more opportunities to rest.
An adverb is utilized to increase the importance of a word, frequently a modifier, and to add more data about it.
Gerunds, Verbs, Nouns Used As Descriptive Words
Gerunds Used As Descriptive Words
In case you’re new to “ing” words; an “ing” word is an action word finishing off with – ing, which goes about as a noun. A few instances of “ing” words are: asking and running. Whenever utilized accurately, these words can be utilized as adjectives by modifying adverbs.
Here are a few instances of how to utilize gerunds as descriptive words:
– “Numerous nations actually don’t approach running water”
– “I love Autumn as a result of all the falling leaves”
– “Do you have any intriguing book ideas”
– “My family is purchasing a pool for the Summer”
– “The food at school is sickening”
Verbs Used As Descriptive Words
Verbs are utilized to portray activities, states, and events. Ordinarily utilized action words include: accomplish, restrict and get. Action words or verbs finishing off with – ed and – ing used to portray, can be veiled as modifiers. Another way is to utilize an action word to adjust a thing or a pronoun.
Here are a few instances of how to utilize action words as descriptive words:
– “Her story was amazingly confounding”
– “I am so happy with my work”
– “I’m simply consistently exhausted for reasons unknown”
– “Never go almost a grinning crocodile”
– “My father will fix our wrecked yard”
Nouns Used As Descriptive Words
A noun is a word that is utilized to distinguish explicit things, this could be a spot or a creature, even an article. To utilize a thing as an unmistakable word, you should utilize it to alter another thing. This is called an adjectival noun or modifying noun.
Here are a few instances of how to utilize nouns as enlightening words:
– “I love race vehicles”
– “I purchased my child a bed looking like a sports car”
– “Good consistently wins and terrible consistently loses”
– “The ugly is coming”
– “The rich should help poor people”
List of Descriptive Words
- Care for
- Fat cat
- In the money
- Loaded (Slang)
- Well-off/better off (informal)
- Awfully (informal)
- Jolly (Br.E)
- Almost always
- As a general rule
- As a rule
- By and large
- For the most part
- In general
- In the general run of things
- Most of the time
- All joking aside
- In earnest
- No joking (informal)
- To be serious
- At high speed
- Apace (literary)
- At full speed
- At last
- At length
- At long last
- At the end of the day
- At the last
- At the last moment
- In the end
- In the long run
- In conclusion
- At a push
- At most
- No more than
- Nothing but