Updating the firmware of your router can help you boost the connectivity and maintain a secure router. It is recommended by the experts that you should install the latest updates to keep your network running properly and secured.
Majority of the routers have an in-built update checker that might not perform the total process automatically. Are you someone who is using an Apple AirPort router? If yes, you may use the Utility program of AirPort to check out for the latest updates.
How to Upgrade Your Router’s Firmware
Router firmware updates are as vital as updating the firmware of the device. A firmware upgrade provides you security improvements and brand new features. In case you had been using your wireless router for several years now, there are high chances that by now there has been a good firmware upgrade in the market.
Nevertheless, unlike the process of updating computer software that can be done with a user-friendly updater tool, router firmware upgrades can be easily understood.
Finding the Address of the Router (Windows)
- Check the actual router for the address. You may access the router by entering the IP address in the web browser. Majority of the routers have their IP addresses printed on the sticker that is fixed at the bottom. If you see that your router doesn’t have this or you don’t have access to the main router, here are the instruction you should follow.
- Open the start menu on the screen and type ‘network status’. This will instantly open the ‘View network status and tasks’ window.
- Click the name of the present connection in the top right hand side corner. This will have an icon that indicates the kind of connection that you’re using, Ethernet or Wi-fi. Ensure that you’re connected to the network of the router.
- Click the ‘Details’ button in the window that appears on screen. This will give you a list of all the entries.
- Find the IPv4 Default gateway entry. The IP address that is listed is the IP address of the router. Take down a note and skip down to the section called ‘Installing Router Updates’.
Finding the Address of the Router (Mac)
Check the physical router to get the IP address
You will access the configuration page of the router by entering the IP address in the web browser on the computer. Most of the routers have this address printed at the bottom. If your router doesn’t have the sticker, here are the steps to follow.
- In case you are using an Apple AirPort router, check out the section given below.
- Click on the Apple menu and choose ‘System Preferences’. This will lead to a new window called System Preferences.
- Next click on the Network button as this will display all your network connections.
- Choose your active connection in the left frame as this will give a green indicator that will say ‘Connected’ underneath. Ensure you’re connected to the network of the router.
- Click on the ‘Advanced’ button as this will open a new window.
- Click the TCP/IP tab and look for the ‘router’ entry and this will be the IP address for the router.
Installing Router Updates
- Connect to the router through Ethernet. There are some routers that don’t allow access to the configuration page when you’re connected through Wifi. Connecting through Ethernet will let you make sure that you can access the configuration tools properly.
- Enter the IP address of the router in the address bar of the web browser. You will easily find the address by following the steps given above. Enter the address just as if you were visiting the webpage.
Enter the Login Details
When you think of opening the configuration page, you will be given a chance to enter the login details. In case you don’t have the saved details, you can try out few common defaults.
- Try leaving the fields blank as there are many routers that don’t have any password or username.
- Enter ‘admin’ as the username and leave the password as blank. If this doesn’t work, try giving ‘admin’ as the password.
- Take a look at the make and model of your router at routerpasswords.com. This will give you the default login details.
- In case this information doesn’t work or you can’t figure out how to log in, you may reset the router by holding and pressing the physical Reset button that you find at the back. This erases all the settings of the router, disrupting the wireless network in case you altered the default settings. This is when you may use the default login.
Open the ‘Firmware’, ‘Router Upgrade’ or ‘Update’ page.
The name of this page will be different for all router manufacturers. The location varies but you may easily find it in ‘Utilities’, ‘Administration’ or ‘Maintenance’ section.
Click the ‘Check’ button to check if there are any updates
There are several routers that have a button to check whether or not there is a new version of the firmware of the router.
Download the current firmware files if there is a link
Depending on the router, you’ll be given a link to the most recent firmware version and the router will also be able to download the latest version on its own.
Visit the support site of the manufacturer
When there is a new version of the firmware, but you don’t have any links, you have to download the firmware from the manufacturer. You may grab these files from Support section of the sites. Carry on a web search to reach out to the support site. For instance, if you search for ‘Netgear support’, you will reach the netgear.com/support link.
Enter the model of the router in search of the support site
You can easily find the model number of the router at the top of the configuration page. Enter the model number into the manufacturer’s website search bar.
Last but not the least, you have to find the latest firmware upgrade file, extract the ZIP file and upload the file to your router. Wait till the update has been successfully applied.