Traveling to new destinations is not just a hobby, but a way of living. Getting to new places, knowing about their culture and traveling around the nook and corners of quaint little towns is enough to satisfy your wanderlust and fuel it a bit more simultaneously.
Travelling can be made extremely easy thanks to the navigation maps that have now become an integral part of most modern cars as well as mobile systems.
Now your chances of becoming a famous discoverer like Christopher Columbus, (who accidentally ended up discovering America) are slim to none!
While traveling on a holiday, people are often in a relaxed mode. Though traveling in a group is economic, many people prefer the autonomy that hiring their own vehicle brings. You could either opt for a personal taxi for yourself or you could rent a car and drive it by yourself.
The latter option sounds better since it offers you complete autonomy of your trip. The only drawback is that you probably are a first time visitor and are unaware of the various roads.
The advent and popularity of GPS have made traveling extremely easy and fun. You can enjoy traveling through new places easily when you have a GPS installed in your car to navigate your way around.
1] What is GPS?
The Global Positioning System or GPS as it is popularly known as is a satellite-based navigation system that comprises of a minimum of 24 satellites revolving around the earth. Launched by the US Department of Defence primarily for military use, they became available for civilian use in the 1980s.
These satellites circle the Earth twice a day in their fixed orbits, transmitting unique signals to GPS receivers which uses the data to calculate any user’s exact information.
To find out the exact location of any individual, at a time, data from a minimum of 3 satellites (for the 2-D position, i.e. latitude and longitude) or 4-8 satellites (for the 3-D position, i.e. latitude, longitude, and altitude) is required. The GPS works 24×7, in all types of weather conditions without any setup charges or subscription fees.
2] How does having GPS help you?
As mentioned previously, with nearly 31 satellites orbiting around the Earth, and at least 4-5 being used to locate your position, their accuracy is pretty good. This accuracy can be used to navigate your way around. The system has been incorporated in not just our mobile phones but also in a navigation system installed in vehicles.
The signals transmitted by the satellites can travel through clouds, plastic and glass, with modern receivers, can even track through solid materials like houses! Since receiving signals has become better, the precision can be used to guide your way through any place.
Tracking the position of the GPS located within your vehicle and guiding you to your destination has never been this easy.
3] Which are the best GPS devices for your car?
Though Google Maps or Apple Maps are one of the features that today’s smartphones are loaded with, they cannot compare to the navigation system of GPS. Though perfect for small distance traveling, they are no match when it comes to the functions of GPS during long distance traveling navigation.
Many companies have come up with a number of options for GPS navigation systems for vehicles. Reaching your destination safely and easily has been the motto of companies which regularly update their maps so as to provide their customers with a safe traveling experience. Some of the best GPS units for your vehicle include.
- Magellan RM 6220-LM GPS Navigator(best in the budget pick).
- Garmin DriveSmart 51 NA LMT-S (best for daily commuters).
- Garmin Drive 60 USA LMT GPS (best in utility).
- TomTom Go 520 (best for world travelers).
- Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX (best in dashboard setup).
4] Magellan GPS – The Best in its Class
One of the leaders of portable GPS navigation systems, Magellan, since its foundation in 1986, has been striving tirelessly for providing improved navigation services to its customers. With over 200 patents in GPS technology, it won’t be incorrect to say that they are pioneers of this field.
With many award-winning portable car navigation systems like Magellan RoadMate and Maestro series, their systems are also available as an app for phones! It is no wonder that many people are using their navigation systems in vehicles.
5] How to Update your Magellan GPS?
Traveling to unfamiliar territories is a risk that comes with the job, especially for businessmen. However, GPS navigation comes to aid in such cases. Updated software helps in the proper running of systems.
It is therefore essential that your Magellan GPS navigation system is updated before going on any road trip. You can update your Magellan GPS in a number of ways.
Free Updates can be installed by these techniques.
Magellan RoadMate updates maps directly on the device.
- After performing initial setup on the GPS unit, connect it to Wi-Fi.
- Create an account or log in to your account on magellangps.com.
- The device will register itself thereby completing the initial setup.
- Download available maps and software updates via Wi-Fi.
- For more information visit the Magellan support site (https://service.magellangps.com/M0100/MagMainFrame.aspx).
Smart GPS Eco keeps RoadMate up-to-date with the latest software and maps.
- Log on to SmartGPSEco.com.
- Log in with your ID created on the Magellan website or create a new account.
- Plug your device into your computer using the USB cable.
- Click on updates on the SmartGPSEco.com site and select your device.
- If a newer version of a map is available, you will be prompted to download it.
The Magellan content manager when connected to a computer (cable/ Wi-Fi) can be used to upgrade software including maps.
For paid updates follow these steps.
- Click the “Maps” tab on the Magellan website.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the GPS model.
- Follow the directions after selecting the map upgrade.
- Launch content manager and connect GPS to the computer via a cable.
- Right-click content manager to “sync purchased content”
- Disconnect the GPS after the update in downloaded and installed.