Both the PS4 and PS5 are incredibly popular games console devices, having sold a combined 30.75 million units across the globe.
This figure highlights the enduring popularity of both consoles, each of which allows players to connect online and enjoy multiplayer games in a virtual setting.
If you do regularly play the PS4 or PS5 online, however, we’d strongly recommend that you use a VPN. But why is this advantageous, and how can you download a VPN for your PC or similar device? Let’s get into it!
Why Would You Use a VPN When Playing Your Playstation?
In fact, there are numerous reasons why you may want to download and access a VPN when using your Playstation.
Firstly, this can help you to access new games before they’re released in your home country, alongside the associated streaming apps that may include geographically restricted content from all around the world.
Yes, this includes US Netflix, as a VPN effectively masks your IP address and enables you to overcome any geographical or regional licensing restrictions that may be enforced. When using a VPN, your Internet service provider can only see the encrypted data that’s travelling to a particular server, rather than the actual content or where it has originated from.
Let’s say that you want to play the upcoming ‘Evil Dead: The Game’ title by Boss Team Games on the PS5, with this scheduled to be released in the UK on May 13th.
However, this will be released much earlier during the same day on the other side of the world in Australia, and the use of a VPN enables you to access this just as soon as it’s launched wherever you are in the world!
By hiding your IP address, you can also optimise the security of your online connection through the PS4 or PS5. Although cyber and DoS attacks are rare when playing your Playstation, having a visible IP address theoretically increases the chances that you’ll be targeted by hackers or those with evil machinations (particularly while streaming).
As if all of this wasn’t enough, downloading a VPN for your Playstation console may also reduce latency when playing games and interacting with other players. This translates into a superior and much more enjoyable Internet connection, and one that contributes to a superior online gaming experience.
This isn’t a fixed rule, of course, and it may also be the case that downloading a VPN will actually cause your connection to become much slower.
Remember, a VPN means that you’ll have to route data from farther away, and this can place a significant drag on your connection speed and latency when utilising a service provider with a thin network of global servers.
Downloading a Viable VPN for Playstation Use – The Key Considerations
Despite the numerous benefits of playing the PS4 or PS5 with an active VPN, you’ll note that you can’t configure a VPN service or install a service provider’s native app straight onto your Playstation console.
While there are various ways in which you can establish a VPN, we’re going to focus on setting up a connection through your PC. This process is the same when using both the PS4 and PS5, while it will transform your device into a virtual router.
To get started, you’ll need a viable Wi-Fi connection and an ethernet cable running from your PC or laptop to your games console of choice. You’ll also have to ensure that you’ve downloaded a free VPN for your PC and are logged into the service provider.
You can then get started to create a viable VPN connection for your PS4 or PS5. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you achieve this objective.
- Start by opening the ‘Control Panel’ through the ‘Start’ icon, before clicking through ‘Network and Internet’ and the ‘Network and Sharing Centre’. You can then change the adapter settings on the left-hand side of the window.
- Right-click on your active VPN connection and select ‘Properties’.
- Then, open the ‘Sharing’ tab and ensure that you select ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection’.
- Select ‘Home Networking Connection’ and choose your Internet connection from the drop-down menu.
- At this stage, you’ll need to open your PS4 and click through ‘Settings’. Then, select ‘Network Settings’ and ‘Set Up Internet Connection’.
- You can then select ‘Use a LAN Cable’, before choosing the ‘Easy’ connection mode.
- On the PS5, you simply need to click through ‘Settings’, ‘Network’ and ‘Set Up Internet Connection’. This will automatically scan and establish your Internet connection.
- Be sure to click ‘Do Not Use a Proxy Server when prompted on-screen.
- Your VPN connection should now be established, although you can test this immediately online if you wish to.
The Last Word
Using a VPN connection when playing the PS4 or PS5 offers numerous advantages, whether you enjoy playing multiplayer games online or like to stream content through your console.
The key is to select a reputable and established VPN service provider, which offers flexible pricing and provides access to multiple server locations across the globe.