If you work as a network manager and consider your job to be a little bit crazy, you need to find the right approach to fulfilling your work tasks. For instance, you can try to plan your daily schedule more carefully and automatize some of your activities to ease your life.
Today, we’re going to give you some more tips and clues on how to enhance your productivity and reach a real nirvana in network management. So let’s start.
Network Management: What Does It Mean?
Before starting to provide you with any practical advice, we need to find out what a network management is. Though managing a network is considered to be the main duty of a network manager, it’s a complex matter and comprises several areas:
● Security management (it’s an important part of network management as it deals with tracking the cryptographic keying material, revealing and fixing security breaches, allowing user access, etc.).
● Configuration management (this is where you need to keep your eye on all changes made to the software, hardware and documentation by the network users).
● Accounting management (analyzing financial data in order to determine the financial status of the network).
This is what is hidden behind the scenes of the network management. You should understand this clearly once you’ve decided to be involved in this kind of activity.
Network Management: Several Practical Clues
Now, we’re going to proceed to some practical clues and tips on how to manage your network effectively, prepared by the Softinventive team.
1. Start By Revealing All the Objects Connected to Your Network
Making an inventory list of hardware and software connected to the network is the first thing you should do once you start monitoring the corporate network. You can investigate your network by yourself: it means moving around your office and noting all the objects connected into it to create an inventory list, or use the special software to assist you.
The last option seems to be more favorable as you don’t need to spend your time and energy on unnecessary and backbreaking work. This kind of software can help you to automatize some of your operations. However, this tip will be discussed a little bit later.
2. Plan Your Daily Routine Correctly
When the inventory list is ready, it’s high time for you to plan your daily routine correctly. How can you do this? For instance, you can start with prioritizing your work duties: try to divide all your tasks into three groups:
● The ‘hottest’ and most important duties (these are tasks like troubleshooting any possible faults on the network that prevent it from functioning correctly).
● The tasks related to enhancing the infrastructure of the corporate network (this can be deploying new software and improving network bandwidth).
● The least important job duties (executing various projects that don’t influence the network directly, but still are important for improving its performance).
3. Automatize As Many Work Duties As You Can
If you would like to find enough time to fulfill all your work duties on time, you need a toolkit that will help you save time for your duties. For instance, you can try your hand with automated software deployment and choose Total Software Deployment (TSD). When you deploy software with this tool, you get the following benefits:
● You can install software packages to multiple computers at the same time.
● You are the one who determines the date, time, number of packages and specifies the machines to deploy to.
● TSD can be used as an inventory software as it can scan your network and reveal all the software running on it.
These are only a few of the benefits you can get with TSD. Now, we’re going to discuss some peculiarities of the software installation process. TSD offers you three modes to install new programs on your network:
● Silent installation (TSD detects the installer type and selects its default parameters for silent installation).
● The Macro deployment method (TSD is able to memorize the installation process and generate a macro installation).
● The Snapshot method (TSD makes a snapshot to record the state of the computer and compares it with the state when a new program was installed. The differences are saved to the deployment package.)
Today, we have given you some tips and clues on how to achieve success in managing a computer network. We hope that our post will help you in some way. 🙂