Few decades ago only two states of the US has legalized gambling business. Other 48 states had strictly prohibited any gambling activities.
But now the condition has shifted, gambling is one of the highly crucial resources of replenishment of the state treasury in the US. In fact, casino gaming is permitted in 48 states and prohibited only in two: Utah and Hawaii.
1] US Gaming Law
The US legislative regulation of the gambling business carried out by local authorities. Corresponding to the US Code of Laws (chapter 15) each individual state of the US is responsible for the list of acceptable gambling activities, restrictions, organization and operation on its territory.
The complete legalization of gambling available only in two states of the US –New Jersey and Nevada. All sorts of gambling entertainment can be played in these two states.
There are some restrictions on gambling in the other states. Nonetheless, owners of such a business have discoveredhow to use the law to their advantage.
For example, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, and Louisiana disallow gambling on the state land. Thus, casino operators offer people to visit the water-based establishments. Game clubs are located on barges and cruise ships. That allows to observe legislative formality and operate legaly.
2] Online gambling in the US
The progress of the gambling industry and related entertainment in the United States is quite confusing. Regardless of the attractiveness of online casinos and bookmakers among citizens of US, the work of such services is illegal.
All electronic payments and transactions with gambling sites were banned back in 2006. And in October of that year, the ban on online gambling entered into force.
The Internet has made control and regulation for gambling very problematic. Online casinos can be visited by players from all over the world. It is very difficult to control the flow of funds and tax payments. It’s required to pass new laws on the regulation of online gambling in America, considering the changing working conditions of gambling operators.
Attempts to completely bury the online casinos do not bring the desired result. US players still playing in online casinos, in which most common online games are poker, blackjack and free slot machines without download like here.
In 2012, the situation has changed a bit. The state has passed legislation to legalize online casinos, bookmakers and online poker rooms in some states. But at the moment, only Nevada, New Jersey and Delaware have taken advantage of this opportunity. It is not yet known how the legislation of this area will develop; even industry experts cannot give rough estimates.
3] Gambling in Nevada
The Nevada holds the title of the main gambling center in the United States.
Over two thousand casino halls available in the state. Six thousand gaming tables and around 200,000 slot machines in total are accessible to the guests of the Las Vegas. Every year fifty million tourists visits this state.
All types of gambling are allowed in Nevada, but this type of business is severely controlled by the governing bodies. To open a casino, you need to get a license and the building must comply with a lot of requirements set by the regulatory body.
You can open gambling institution solely on the especially given area.The entire actions in the sphere of gambling is carried out only based on certificates issued by the authoritative body.
4] Nevada Gaming Regulators
The gambling industry in Nevada is regulated immediately by two government departments working in close cooperation:
The Nevada Gaming Commission (NGC) is a state-owned government agency. The main tasks of the department are:
- Consideration of applications for a license.
- Issuance of licenses.
- Development of rules, regulations governing the activities of casinos.
- The application of sanctions against institutions that violate applicable requirements. In addition to imposing disciplinary sanctions and fines, the Commission may revoke the license.
The Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) is a casino monitoring authority. Among the responsibilities of the department.
- Consideration of financial, personnel issues.
- Verification of the accuracy of information submitted by applicants for a license.
- Providing information and technical support.
- Monitoring the implementation of financial obligations by operators: conducting audits, timely and full deductions of fees and taxes.
- Conducting investigations into possible violations in the operation of the casino, as well as identifying illegal activities.
- Verification of technical and gaming equipment.
- Testing gaming devices.
Both departments are responsible for their duties with maximum responsibility. There are several cases where the denial of a license was received by well-known and influential individuals.
5] Licensing condition
In the US there are 3 types of licenses that give the right to conduct a gambling business.
- Restricted gaming license. Grants the right to open slot machine halls. The owner can install no more than fifteen slot machine devices. The document does not give the right to host other casino games, including popular table casino games. Traditionally, such licenses are issued by the owners of small entertainment centers, bars, restaurants.
- Non-restricted gaming licenses. It is divided into two subcategories. First N / R license – only gives the right to open halls with an unlimited number of slots machines but does not provide the possibility of setting gaming tables. The second type of N / R license – allows operators to use any number of slot machines and table games.
- Special. It is provided to operators for placing slot machines in institutions owned by third parties. Lease terms and other aspects of the use of the premises are discussed directly between the parties to the transaction.
In addition to the license to carry out gambling activities, operators are required to issue similar documents for each employee of the company. The production and supply of gaming equipment are licensed separately.
6] Gambling in New Jersey
New Jersey is the second major gambling state in the United States, all types of gambling are available here.
All permits for gambling in New Jersey were obtained at the initiative of residents based on a local referendum. After which the first casino was opened in the state in 1978.
Today, the state officially operates 12 gambling establishments. The gambling industry in New Jersey is also strictly regulated by law and is closely monitored by specialized agencies.
7] New Jersey Gaming Regulators
As in Nevada, the New Jersey gambling business controlled by the two regulatory bodies.
The New Jersey Casino Control Commission (NJCC) is a state government agency. Has numerous powers in most segments of the gaming industry. The structure of the department unites five specialized units.
The licensing department, the appeals department, the taxation department, and the legal and administrative sectors.
The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (NJDGE) is a special division of the State Department of Justice. The main task of the department is to monitor compliance with applicable gambling legislation.
Forecasting the growth of gambling in the United States is pretty tricky. Current regulations give a chance for the progress of this industry in the future, but the existing execution of changes is very slow as it faces obstacles in the form of legislative bodies.