We all have different types of skin. That means you should shop for special skincare products depending on your skin type. With plenty of products in the beauty and cosmetics market, it may be quite tedious choosing the best.
Know your skin type
Understanding your skin type is the first step to choosing the best skin care products to use. Know all the ins and outs of your skin before choosing any skincare products. According to dermatologists, if you have oily skin, you will need different skincare products compared to someone with acne-prone skin.
Additionally, some skincare products may not be suitable for those with sensitive skin. Therefore, you can switch to natural skincare if you cannot find a suitable skincare product for your skin type.
When you shop for skincare products not meant for your skin, you will likely develop skin complications like psoriasis. Here is a guide to choose a skincare product by skin type.
- Dry skin: If you have dry skin, you should shop for lactic acid and Shea butter products. These ingredients will keep your skin hydrated and moisturized for the longest time.
- Oily skin: Those with dry skin should buy skincare products with hyaluronic, alpha hydroxyl, and benzoyl acids. These are the acids useful in maximizing hydration and controlling excess sebum production.
- Sensitive skin: With sensitive skin, you should opt for skincare products containing oatmeal, Shea butter, and Aloe Vera.
Do a patch test before buying
The best way to eliminate any skincare products from your shopping list is by carrying out a patch test. If the manufacturer is offering a free sample or tester products, you should not hesitate to take advantage of them.
Apply the product to your skin and find out if it causes any irritation. If the sample contains any ingredients that cause allergic reactions or irritation on your skin, you should avoid it like a plaque.
Taste all the ingredients in the skincare products and ensure it’s what you are looking for. This may take a lot of time, but it saves you some good money at the end of the day.
Check the ingredients in the product
When you are out to pick the best skin care products, you should always avoid those products with the following ingredients.
- Sulfates: These are common in shampoo and body washes. They can strip your skin of its natural oil and cause skin irritation. If you have dry skin, avoid all skin care products with sulfates.
- Perfume: Most perfumed skincare products or fragrances contain dyes that are harmful to your skin. They can also cause allergies if you are not used to the strong odor. If you have sensitive skin, you should avoid fragrance and all products with strong perfume.
- Parabens: Most skin care products use parabens to prevent bacterial growth. However, these ingredients can often result in hormonal imbalance. If you have a history of skin cancer in your family or you are buying skincare for your kids, you should always avoid products containing parabens.
When you find a skincare product that works for you, it is always essential that you stick to it. That means you want to purchase it every time you shop for a skincare product.
For this reason, you should choose a skincare product that is readily available in the market. Suppose it takes you longer to get a new supply- it may not be a perfect choice. Find out if you can order the product online to save time.
Your budget should determine the type of skincare product you purchase. Not every expensive product is the best you can get. Once you’ve set your budget for a skincare product, you should also find out if it has the ingredients you want for your skin.
There are different brands in the market offering affordable skincare products. Compare the prices and always go for an established brand – this is the only way to know if you are getting the best product.
When you are trying a new skincare product for the first time, you should buy the product in a small portion to test if it is suitable for your skin type.
The most important factors to consider when looking for skincare products are the ingredients used in making it, your skin type, and the price of the product.
Before shopping for any product, you should understand your skin. Visit a dermatologist for a skin test before you can change to a new skincare product. Always consider these facts the next time you shop for a quality skincare product for yourself.