So you have decided to finally take the plunge and start your own blog. Maybe it is going to be a place where you control all of the subject matter, or it might be that you are setting it up as a group effort where several contributors will be posting content.
In either case, you want your blog to be successful and achieve the goals that you had in mind when you first got the idea to communicate with the world via the Internet.
You can create a blog relatively easily, even if you are just learning how to make a website and have not blogged before. One of the allures of the Internet is the ability for everyone to be creative and do things their own way, and there is certainly the opportunity for originality in the blogging world.
There are also some general guidelines and strategies that have worked for many successful bloggers and will most likely serve you well in some capacity. Starting a blog can be intimidating and confusing to the uninitiated.
We are here to help with 5 rules that you should follow in your attempt to create a successful blog in 2018. They are no guarantee of your success but will point you in a direction that follows in the steps of others who have flourished in their own efforts to create a blog that connects with a wide audience.
1] Choose a Meaningful Domain Name
Choosing the right domain name may be one of the most important decisions you make when creating your blog. According to lifewire.com, there are some factors that you need to consider when you are deciding on what to name the website that will host your blog. Among them are:
- Creative versus obvious names – A creative name can become a brand identifier as your blog grows. An obvious name that relates to your main topic can help draw in new visitors. Yo need to decide which makes more sense for you.
- Research similar domain names – If you are going with the choice of an obvious domain name, use a domain name tool to see what other names are similar to your prospective choices. This may help you narrow down your choices.
- Consider using keywords – Using keywords related to your blog’s topic is a good way of attracting visitors to your site.
2] Obtain Quality Web Hosting
Your blog needs a place to live, and web hosting provides it with a server and storage to get you up, running, and visible on the web.
Also Your choice of web hosting provider can have a big impact on your ability to easily maintain your blog. Your cheapest option may not be the best way to go as there are other factors to consider.
Choose a web hosting service that offers you speed and guarantees of reliable uptime. If your provider cannot keep your site online, you can’t attract visitors.
You also want to be sure they are security conscious and offer a backup service that can help you if anything unexpected happens to your site.
The ability to expand and obtain more bandwidth or storage space is another feature you want in your web hosting package.
3] Find the Right Look for Your Blog
If you are using WordPress to power your blog, as the vast majority of bloggers do, you can customize its look very easily even if you do not possess any programming skills.
Through the use of WordPress themes and plugins, you can design a blog site that has a distinctive look and is simple to maintain.
Themes specifically designed for blogs will give your website a clean look that you can tailor with fonts, images, and element placement. There are many free themes available as well as premium ones that may offer more features.
Take the time to investigate and experiment with themes until you find the one that works for your site. An exciting and engaging look can help turn a random visitor into a fan of your blog.
4] Create Compelling Content
The heart of your blog is the content that you create and post for your visitors to see. Creating compelling content begins with choosing interesting and powerful topics.
According to shoutmeloud.com, these are some of the points to keep in mind when creating content that will speak to your audience:
- Write with a purpose – Make sure that your posts add value and are not wasting your reader’s time. Every post should have a defined purpose that adds to your overall message.
- Pay attention to titles – A good title may be the determining factor that gets a visitor to read its contents. A little extra time spent on titles can go a long way to attracting readers.
- Make your writing personal – Engage your audience with your point-of-view. The reason you wanted to blog was to get your ideas out there, so don’t hesitate to do exactly that.
5] Promote Your Blog
You can have a beautifully designed blog that makes use of all of the power inherent in themes and plugins. Your blog may also have the most compelling content imaginable, articles and posts that speak to your audience and have them coming back for more.
But if you cannot attract users to visit your site for the first time, they will never discover these features and your blog will languish in relative obscurity.
You want your promotion to be an ongoing process that highlights your new content and keeps your older content viable. Another great way to promote your blog is to guest post on other blogs that will appeal to your target audience.
Using these rules will give you a head start in creating a successful blog. Consistently posting interesting content and attracting new visitors will grow it into the successful enterprise you envisioned.
Was this article helpful and informative? Leave us a comment with your thoughts in the section below.